A Complete Solution for Teaching Biology
- eBook Integration: While working a given problem students can click a link that will take them to the specific section in the book related to that topic.
- Textbook Questions: Every question from both the first and second edition of the OpenStax Biology textbook
- Additional Advanced Questions: In each chapter, 15 to 30 automatically-assessed engaging question types such as Drag-and-Drop Labeling, Sorting, Ranking, Calculations, etc.
- NEW – PhET Simulations: We have problems designed to prompt students to engage with the activities in an detailed and specific manner, helping them get the most out of each exercise.*
- Test Bank: Over 800 additional questions that are not available publicly. The majority of these were written by the authors of the book exclusively for the Expert TA system.
- Thought and Review Questions: An extensive collection of essay-type questions that can be manually-graded for assessment purposes, or given automatic scores for participation assignments.
- Cost: Free for instructors and just $35 per semester per student.
- Problem Library: Table of Contents with question counts
Engaging Question Types
|Studies show that students retain more information when concepts are brought to life with educational exercises that are more interactive. For example, when students actively build the structure of DNA (shown left), they remember the experience more readily than if they simply selected a multiple choice answer.|
|Immediate Feedback helps students who are making mistakes get back on track. In the adjacent animation, notice the provided feedback when an incorrect answer is submitted.|
|Traditional question types, such as Multiple Choice and True/False, still have an important role in assessment but are more effective when combined with more interactive materials.|
|Expert TA has designed our online homework platform to contain an appropriate combination of traditional and interactive questions.|
|Drag-and-Drop labeling: shown above, is one example of interactive questions that get students more involved in the learning process.|
|Algorithmic Calculations: Including randomized numbers, students are asked to calculate things such as PH level, age via carbon-dating, chemical energy change in reactions, probabilities for Mendel models, values for gas pressure and respiration, mortality rates, population growth rates, and more.|
|Ranking: Students actively order elements related to their size, sequence, etc.|
|Sorting/Categorizing: Students group items based on specified criteria.|
|Identify Feature: Students point-and-click on an area or areas of a given image to identify a specific element or feature.|
|Matching/Pairing: Items are moved to be paired with their corresponding relational “mate”.|
Interactive Chapter Summaries
Expert TA’s assignable chapter summaries incentivize students to pay attention to some of the most important parts of the book. Rather than students passively reading through the textbook, they become active participants.
From the same grade sheet containing other assignments, instructors can quickly assess what percentage of the class is completing the readings and the class’s overall level of understanding.
About the Book
|Biology 2e is designed to cover the scope and sequence requirements of a typical two-semester biology course for science majors. The text provides comprehensive coverage of foundational research and core biology concepts through an evolutionary lens. Biology includes rich features that engage students in scientific inquiry, highlight careers in the biological sciences, and offer everyday applications. Interspersed throughout each chapter are various types of practice and homework questions that help students understand—and apply—key concepts.|
|The 2nd edition has been revised to incorporate clearer, more current, and more dynamic explanations while maintaining the same organization as the first edition. Art and illustrations have been substantially improved, and the textbook features additional assessments and related resources.|
About the Authors
A Stress-Free Semester
- Simple Registration: You share a registration link, students go through an easy three-step process, and they are enrolled and taking assignments.
- LMS Integration: Instructors can synchronize grades with their LMS gradebook. For students, single sign-on provides access to all the course materials from one location.
- A Commitment to Customer Service: The company was created on the idea of building great educational solutions, but to the Account Managers at Expert TA we think of ourselves first as a customer service company.